My goal for the New Year is to create permanent lifestyle changes and habits.
I love doing Beach Body workouts (such as P90x, Insanity, Focus T25, ect). They are super intense and push me to the limit. What I love about the Beach Body brand is their mantra:
“Decide Commit Succeed”
You can apply this to any goal in your life, and not just fitness. This is going to be my mantra for the year going forward to help me achieve my New Year’s resolutions.
It’s all up to you, you have to make the conscious decision to start doing something different, such as eating healthier and working out. Commit to that goal by either documenting your progress or using a daily tracker (check out Lift.do by the founders of Twitter). Once you decide and commit next comes success and the sweet feeling of satisfaction!
My New Year’s resolutions are the following:
1. Workout more frequently and consistently ( I am currently doing Focus T25).
2. Write more (I use Evernote to jot down my thoughts in an organized manner).
3. Grow spiritually (Through daily reading and meditation).
4. Strengthen relationships (reach out to friends more often).
5. Wake up earlier ( using a variation of THIS method lol).
Another New Year’s Resolution I have is to develop more effective habits for learning new skills in a short amount of time. I often struggle with keeping momentum. I typically get excited about learning something new for the first month, binge learn, and then lose interest. I want to set up an effective regime to become a lifelong learner. Here are some things I want to do and learn this year:
1. Create a regime to become conversationally fluent in a language in 3 months (it can be done, check out Benny). My goal for the first three months of this year is to get better in German, and then move on to another language. I’ve also decided to join the Add1Challenge, because it’s great to have support from others while pursuing your goals.
2. Learn to Play the Guitar (I use Marty’s videos for practice)
3. Program well enough to participate in a hackathon (I use Treehouse & Code Academy)
What I’ve realized is that change starts with having the right tools. I’ve flopped in the past with trying to achieve my goals because I didn’t have the right tools. I encourage you to do some digging and find out which programs, widgets, ect work best for you.
It’s also useful to set small goals or milestones. Don’t just say “I’m gonna workout and get super fit this year,” start with smaller more measurable goals, such as “I will spend two months on Focus T25, then move to P90x and take weekly photo updates”.
Happy New Year! Now that you have a clean slate, what are you going to do with it?
One of my favorite quotes is by Thomas Edison: “If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.”
Let’s kick butt this year! What are some of your goals for the New Year?